Acne is caused by bacteria and getting rid of them should be an important step in our skin care regimen. However, we don’t usually give it a thought and we just use any cleanser that is popular out in the market. Those cleansers actually increase the pH of our skin which provides the perfect environment for bacteria to grow.
Our skin’s natural pH should be slightly acidic. Because when it is acidic, only the good kind of bacteria that help our skin can stay on our skin. And when it is alkaline (all commercial soaps and cleansers are alkaline), the good bacteria die and the bad ones remain on our skin which we don’t want. This pH is called our Skin’s Acid Mantle. I will do a detailed blog post on this later so keep your eye on for that…
Fun Fact: In 1928, Schade and Marchionini suggested that the function of the low pH film was to protect the skin from microbes, and coined the term ‘acid mantle’ to describe it.
DIY Cleanser All You Need is:
1 tsp Honey
1 tsp Greek Yoghurt
1/2 tsp Olive Oil / Almond Oil / Avocado Oil (only oil can dissolve oils like sebum)
1 drop of Lavender Essential Oil (optional)
- Whatever ingredients you buy make sure they are organic or at least 100% natural without any preservatives because this will give you more effective results.
- You can use any of the oils mentioned above even if you have oily skin. Don’t be afraid to use oils on your face because only oils can dissolve oils like sebum/blackheads/whiteheads. Trust me this won’t break you out.
- Mix all the ingredients together and apply it on your skin.
- Massage it in your skin for at least 3-5 mins. This step is very important because as you are massaging you are increasing the blood flow in your skin and this in return will help absorb max amount of nutrients in your skin.
- Take a wash cloth / face cloth. Dampen it with hot water and wring it out. Put the cloth on your face while it is warm. This will steam your skin and loosen up all the dirt. The cleanser will pull this dirt out and cleanse your face deeply. Using the same cloth wipe away the cleanser.
- DO NOT wash your face off with soap because this won’t give you any results. You can just splash some cold water to cool off your skin and dab off the water with a clean towel.
You can also do this when you are wearing makeup because this cleanser actually takes away ALL the makeup even from deep down the pores. I have tried it many times and I know how well it works. Honey is anti-microbial / anti-bacterial. It targets scars as well.
Yogurt provides the good bacteria which helps our skin a lot and it is nourishing + cleansing + exfoliating (chemically). It also diminishes scars.
The oils act as moisturizers and they dissolve the dirt out of our skin.
The Lavender EO soothes and calms the inflaming acne. It also reduces stress which is also a cause of acne.
DIY Toner All You Need:
3 tsp Cold Water
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
1 Cotton Pad
- Personally I prefer the Bragg and Biona brands for ACV because these brands are organic and they also add the “mother” in ACV which is natural and provides some awesome nutrients.
- So the ratio of ACV to water should always be 1:3 because ACV is too strong for our skin so we need to dilute it.
- Soak a cotton pad in the mixture and apply it gently on your skin.
This toner will make your skin’s pH acidic which is the natural pH of our skin. It will zap the blemishes and will also help fade away the scars.
I had a lot of stress going last week because of a hell lot of work from college. So the next morning I woke up with a some pimples on my face. Naturally I freaked out a little but then I opened my fridge and BOOM… I made the cleanser and toner because I just wanted to experiment and those were the only ingredients in my fridge I could put on my face.
So I only tried this twice on my face and I saw a HUGE difference already. I was SUPER happy of the results. My pimples were gone and my scars were fading away faster than the normal rate. My skin was almost like I-am-a-model-and-I-always-have-gorgeous-skin type.
I am definitely adding this cleanser and toner to my routine but only 2 or 3 times a week because my skin stays pretty clear now so I don’t need it too frequently.
However if you get acne regularly you should do this every second day and I assure you that you WILL get the results.
Try it! You have nothing to lose 🙂
Let me know if you have tried it and your experience…
“When you’re different, sometimes you don’t see the millions of people who accept you for what you are. All you notice is the person who doesn’t.” ~ Jodi PicoultTake Care.Love Krishna